There’s a lot of game in this small package.
Star Realms is PvP Ascension. You have 5 cards you can buy, and cards give you money and combat. Combat attacks your opponent (you start with 50
Authority Life). Cards are in various factions, in most have an ability if you’ve played another card of that faction. Some cards (bases) stick around between turns and can be attacked instead of the opponent.
This seems (to me) like the type of game I could spew a few thousand words on. But for now, a few thoughts:
- The <Annoying Waiter Voice> wafer thin </Annoying Waiter Voice> cards have mismatched backs. I sleeved my copy.
- Even paying for sleeves it’s still under $30, but that basically doubled my cost.
- I do like the starting rules — first player gets a 3 card hand for the first turn. Interesting, and means that sometimes the 2nd player has the advantage.
- This is a pringles game, you can play a few games in a row. And (like Ascension) has easy setup/teardown.
- There’s clearly skill, but when playing games against the TaoLing I had a horrible early start and said “This is the one I lose badly.” (Going second when the starting board had a great 2 cost card, and a great 4 cost card, and my draw had … $3. Watched the TaoLing buy the 2 cost and it got replaced with nothing special). That’s fine, it’s a card game and takes 20 minutes.
Ascension had already fallen to indifferent, but I’m Enthusiastic about Star Realms.