Recent Media Thoughts
- I just finished watching the entire run of Deep Space 9 on Netflix (streaming). Easily the best trek series, IMO (I quickly gave up on Voyager and Enterprise when they first aired). The pilot is atrocious, however. The first two seasons are world building, but the fun really kicks in starting with Season 3, when they can serialize the story much more. The final ten episodes are totally serialized.
- I’m still watching Elementary, which is now more like comfort TV than “need to watch.”
- But, with the end of DS9, I could use a new series….I tried Lost Girl and Misfits and liked neither.
On the movie front …
- Contagion — Too bad Soderbergh is retiring.
- Premium Rush — Not art but amusing. When your main character is nicknamed “Wily Coyote” you know what you are getting.
- Tai Chi Zero is a glorious smashup of Kung Fu, Steampunk, Romance, Anime and Scott Pilgrim-esque in nature. I’m eagerly awaiting the 2nd half (Tai Chi Hero).
- Dredd — Not art but amusing.
- Seven Psychopaths was about a screenwriter (I really dislike movies about movies or moviemaking), but had enough scenery chewing by all parties involved to compensate.
- The Raid: Redemption deserves the accolades it got (from the Asian Action Movie Crowd).
- Bernie was pretty good, overall. I think a little Jack Black goes a long way (see High Fidelity) but he’s perfectly fine when he’s not playing some manic rock guy. (Although I did like School of Rock)
Mediocre (I watched it, but YMMV):
- The Pirates — Band of Misfits is a weak entry in the Aardman line, but still ok.
- ParaNorman — Surprisingly watchable.
- The Campaign — Although you need a pretty decent tolerance for Will Ferrell and Zach Galifinkas.
- Safety Not Guaranteed — Trying a bit too hard for that indie hipster movie vibe, but watchable.
- The Remake of Hari-Kiri is pretty much a straight up remake. There’s one point where I’m not sure if they updated it to make it more badass, or it’s just a detail I didn’t notice in the original. A good flick, but not a must see if you saw the original. And only recommended if you like older Japanese movies.
Bad (I turned it off):
- 21 Jump Street — Ugh.
- Moonrise Kingdom — I really like some of his stuff, but not this.