Quick Core Worlds update
After another game, another re-evaluation of my thoughts…
- Did I say Troop Transport + Repair station is a good combo? I meant great combo.
- The five player game is interesting, but long. All cards available in the draft reduces replay value for that setup, though.
- I think we found a minor gap in the rules. No big deal, though.
- Get VP worlds early. You can rack up a respectable amount of VP worlds.
- I like the Consul of the Empire variant with 5. But even then (and especially without it) be set up to pounce on a Core World as your first action of T9 or T10. And save your medbot (etc) for T9 (unless you take a big VP world in T8)! The ability to invade twice in consecutive actions is huge.
- That’s another reason Repair Station is a big card, and worthy of drafting even by itself. In our game I took a Core World (Zeus) on turn 9 and repaired a vehicle (to save it) and I medbotted a starfighter. Then I deployed the rest of my hand. As I had a thin deck, on T10 I drew the repair station and medbot again. The medbot didn’t help (since deploying costs valuable time), but I took a Coreworld on my first action and repaired a speedbot (3FS and 3GS), which left me with enough strength to take another world on my next action. (Again, playing with the Consul variant– multiple people could invade a world as long as they got it on the same action round).