New To Court The King Variant
After a few more games of Um Krone und Kragen, I realized:
- The Fool isn’t always the Kiss of Death, but usually is.
- Many people just dislike the fact that getting lots of dice + 0-1 manipulator is a solid strategy.
So, I decided to tweak it a bit. This variant is lightly tested, but I don’t think it breaks anything. All normal rules apply, except:
- The Fool can reroll a single die, as normal.
- The Charlatan gets a single die as usual, but keeps the Fools ability as well.
- The General gives two dice, but one must be locked each turn (or you can lock both on the first turn).
- Each turn you must lock at least one die that you rolled that turn!
So if you are rolling to try and get 1s, and have the Laborer (who has a ‘1’ die) the turn you lock that die, you must still lock another die … so it’s not a ‘1’ plus a reroll, just a sure thing one.
This will make the numbered dice a touch weaker, which will drive the average number of maniuplators taken (by choice or lack of a better roll) per game. Probably not 1 per player, but maybe .5/per. I still want to make the fool a bit better (I’m tempted to make it “Reroll or subtract a pip”) but I still want it to be a consolation prize. Since people who get the fool often back into a charlatan (especially if the first row quickly runs out of dice) I decided this way was a decent step. Probably not enough. I may try the “OR subtract” in my next game.
Update — Someone else in the group had the idea of giving the fool a tempo advantage. Not a full turn, but going first against non-fools in the turn. That’s too confusing (IMO), but letting the fool designate a pile as “No non-fool can get this until I get one” may do the same thing. Again, still too complicated, but I’m intrigued by the idea.