Randomness from the latest session
The Tales & Legends Expansion feels like it was designed for people who hate Small World. We just picked one of the themes at random, shuffled up and dealt, and got such lovely events as:
- Every race goes into decline
- Pass your race to the player to your left
The rest of the events were mild (typically throwing 2-4 points around), but once you remove the player’s ability to control their race, is there any point? No. (Now that I think about it, the “Win an auction to just combine an available race and an available power from the selection to get as the next race” would have been annoying, but it showed up on the last turn).
Oh, and I’m ready to get rid of the “Cursed” power from any game I play. It makes a pretty random swing sometimes. Also, does anyone else get the feeling that “Grand Dames” expansion is a not-so-secret misogynist? I mean, except for Gypsies those powers get skipped all the time. (Perhaps they should each get one more token).
Escalation is harmless, but continues to annoy me with the gross distribution of cards powers. The 1 card is just inferior to every other card. Really, I expect better from Dr. Knizia. (Quick summary — you meld a single card or multiples of the same value, when you can’t go higher you have to take all the cards in the middle. Whoever takes the fewest cards wins).
Variant off the top of my head:
- You can play the “one” cards with any other meld. (Perhaps this should be for 1 or 2).
- When you play the neighborhood watch card (aka “Pass”), you have to take the last meld into your cards. (So you’ll save taking the full stack, but pay some price).
- The “Wild 1-7” should be changed to a “Wild 2-6”
At least the game takes 5 minutes only.
I have nothing new to say about Dice Town.